Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Pain in upper right abdomen and back. Feel relieved after eating

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hi I am experiencing pain on the upper right side of my abdomen, sometimes the pain goes to my back, I also feel relief if I eat something

Thank you
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 12 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Do you have fever/ vomiting/ yellow discoloration of sclera & urine/ fever/vomiting/ acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness/ abdominal bloating/ excessive flatulence?
In RUQ, following organs are present: liver, gall bladder, hepatic flexure of large intestine, 2nd part of duodenum, part of right kidney.
Pain increasing after eating occurs only in three conditions: acute or chronic cholecystitis, acute or chronic pancreatitis and peptic ulcer disease.
But in your case, you are getting relief after food and this is very specific for gastric ulcer.
Have you undergone ultrasound imaging? What was its report?
You should consult with physician/ gastro-physician and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, liver function test, endoscopy, ultrasound imaging, CT/ MRI if needed.
You should take proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics for relief of pain.
If in endoscopy, ulcer has to be found, then you should go for H. pylori treatment.
I have answered almost all queries.
Put your views if any one, It will be my great pleasure.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor