Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Pain in the testicle, abdominal area, burning, back pain. What is the remady?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions

Im 160 pounds, male, about 5' 9" and 20 years old. I noticed about 3 weeks ago pain in my right testicle. it wasn't sharp or anything, just lingering and annoying. about a week later i noticed that it transfers to the other testicle, like one at a time. I do also get a little pain in the hip flexor/lower abdominal area. The pain seemed to go away from the testicles for about two or three days, but then came back, this time in both testicles at the same time. Almost feels like a burning feeling. when i feel them they also feel firmer than normal. no lumps or anything I could feel. Also there has been pain in lower back for about the same time as this has been going on. I want to see a urologist but my docs on vacation until july 9th and I need a referral to see one. If anyone could help explain possible causes/remedies that would be great. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I read your question with diligence.

It is pain for last three weeks not very severe and occurring in both testicles that rules out emergency conditions where you have to see a doctor immediately.

Those conditions are torsion of testis interfering with its blood supply, trauma of testis where there is bruise, some sort of history of injury and collection blood in the testicular sac both necessitating emergency surgical consult.

Other causes of long standing pain are

1. Epididymitis. Most common cause in men above 18 years of age, in sexually active men most common aetiology is sexually transmitted diseases like Gonorrhoea or Chlamydia. In older individuals, prostrate problems can cause the epididymitis.

2. Other less common causes include: Inguinal hernia, Orchitis secondary to viral infection like Mumps, kidney stones, rarely abdominal bleeding and lastly testicular tumours.

As we began with listing two causes which need emergency care, a person with testicular pain should view it as such unless proven otherwise. That is contact your medical practitioner (if you cannot contact immediately), please go to Emergency Room for delay in first two conditions I listed can be a disaster.

With Best Wishes. If you have any follow-up query I will be most happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM (Cardiology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor