Pain in the sternum to the chest and arm, cyst in the breast,in digestion. Mammogram negative. Whats happening?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Pain that started in the right sternum...generalized to chest,down arm,poor circulation to 4 and 5th digits...tested for blood clot negative...thought pulled muscle..put on predisone z pack...no relief...breast exam found cyst..referred for mammogram and ultrasound..came back negative..but found dark area in right breast..have to check in 6 months...still pain in chest and indegestion...referred to a breast surgeo...Today bad indegestion..now have onset of severe headaches...any idea?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

It is good that your mammogram and tests for blood clots have come negative. Such kind of pain in the sternum and indigestion can be due to acid reflux or gall bladder disease. Gall bladder disease is common in fertile females of fifty years of age and hence should be ruled out by getting an ultrasound gall bladder done.

Till then try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.