Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Pain in the ribs and knee after a fall. Taking NSAID. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10343 Questions
One week ago I slipped on the steps out of our apartment and "went flying." I got sore ribs and knee, and it has improved somewhat. My doctor told me to take the usual NSAID for discomfort. The knee feels basically OK, but I feel the ribs, the spasm or intercostal strain when I walk and ESPECIALLY when I try to get comfortable in bed, which is difficult on my left side. I am considering some therapy but wonder how long this will last? At least I did not break anything, and there has been some improvement. But it's sore, and I use a heating pad and stand under the shower. When I take XXXXXXX sudden breaths or burps I feel the soreness. Otherwise sitting is no problem and standing. Just getting up or sitting down has some soreness. And of course pulling myself out of bed.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you are having a soft tissue injury of your chest wall. Taking NSAIDS and hot fomentation will help in decreasing your discomfort.
For a better relief, you can use a chest belt for proper immobilization of the injured area and faster healing.
Such soft tissue injuries do take time to heal. In some cases complete recovery might take 4-6 weeks.
Doing physiotherapy will hasten the recovery.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in the ribs and knee after a fall. Taking NSAID. Remedy? 15 minutes later
Thank you. I have been disappointed that taking aspirin, etc. helps but does not remove all the soreness, and of course I do not want to be taking these drugs constantly, whether tylenol, advil or aspirin or aleve, etc.
Would I wear a chest belt to sleep or during the day? Where would I find one? Thank you.
Follow-up: Pain in the ribs and knee after a fall. Taking NSAID. Remedy? 6 minutes later
Should I take a muscle relaxant to help such as methacarbamol?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Giving adequate rest will help in removing most of your pains.

You can get a chest belt of appropriate size at your orthopedician's office or at a surgical supplies store. The chest belt can be removed at night while sleeping.

Taking a muscle relaxant will be helpful. Your physician can prescribe you good muscle relaxants to you.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor