Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Pain in the rib after an injury. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10356 Questions
I was walking with a box the other day and hit a wall. The box went into my stomach under my rt ribs. Last night I worked out and did ab work. Today hurts under my right rib if I breathe in. Could I have bruised something? What can I do?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

From the description provided it seems that you have injured your chest wall muscles. It seems to be a swelling or extreme pain on touch indicative of XXXXXXX bruise, then there is nothing worrisome as of now.

Any muscle strain will require time to heal and till then you can take any anti-inflammatory analgesic containing acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief. You could try Tablet Aspirin 325 mg every 6 hours with meals. Physiotherapy and hot fomentation may provide early relief.

Do not lift any heavy weights and avoid a workout till healing.

If the pain persists or you develop any new symptom like fever, restriction of movement etc. then seek prompt medical consultation. Otherwise just take adequate rest, a healthy diet and plenty of fluids for better healing.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor