Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Pain in the lower left side of abdomen and upper back. What could be the reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
pain in the lower left side and upper back
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult a doctor first, then other tests can be as

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Pain in the lower left side and upper back could be of several origins. It shall depend on the type of pain (burning, stabbing, dull, ache), the intensity, duration, periodicity, the signs that accompany the pain (fever, nausea etc), aggravating conditions the make the pain worse, what relieves you of the pain, whether the pain stays in the same position of not, or spreads to other areas. It is important to know also if you are experiencing the pain for the very first time or not, and if yes, what you have had to take. Any history of abdominal surgery is also an important consideration. Any past history of gastritis, are important aspects. I am afraid abdominal pain in females and assessed in a different manner compared to males.

A physical examination and key inquiry (answers to questions above) remain key elements in making an appropriate diagnosis and managing properly. In case you experience any diarrhea, a stool examination and culture could important. An abdominal ultrasound, depending on the clinical appreciation of your doctor could be useful in getting some inside of the abdominal organs.

Depending on the case, it is not rare to have lung problems like a lower lobe pneumonia that presents itself like abdominal pain. Depending on clinical examination with your doctor s stethoscope, an X XXXXXXX could still be asked. If the abdominal pain really is not related to the back pain, a spinal x XXXXXXX could help.

It is of utmost importance to consult your primary care doctor first. Based on your medical history and clinical findings, specific tests shall asked to make an appropriate diagnosis. feel free asking follow up questions in case you got specific concerns. I shall be glad making my humble contributions. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor