Pain in the lower left abdomen and upper back pain, for hours. Why?
I have pain in the abdomen, lower left side. No severe pain till date, but mild uncomfortable sensation. Sometimes I feel I comes and goes daily, sometimes in a week.
Here are some symptoms, for you to guide me better.
• No severe pain – mild, but lasts for a few hours. Not daily, but sporadic for a year or more now
• Sometimes it’s for hours, sometimes in the middle of the night
• Slightly tight trousers/ tight belt – initially, this is how I started to notice the pain
• When I sleep on my stomach or lie down turning towards the left side
• If I compress the left side of my abdomen
• When I remove my belt/ trousers after work, there is a slight relief
• When I don’t relieve myself – urine/ motion
• Any kind of stress on the stomach
• It hurts sometimes while sitting down, I feel a little relieved when I stretch the left side of my torso
• Rarely it’s combined with upper back pain on the left for a few mins
• It hurts when I drink/ eat food in a slightly higher quantity or if I don’t eat for a long time
• I do not smoke and I am a non-alcoholic
Hope these symptoms help to diagnose or guide me for further diagnosis. Please let me know if you need further information.
Left lower quadrant pain / disomfort as you described in a 30yr male could be secondary to -
1) Inguinal hernia - where in either the omentum or intestinal contents may be protruding via the inguinal canal. This can be diagnosed with physical examination or an USG
2) Diverticular disease - may cause discomfort either by dysmotility or due to the associated inflammation ie diverticulitis. Diagnosis is established by a CT or a colonoscopic visualisation of the diverticulae.
3) Ureteral infection or stone - Are associated with burning urine or increased urinary frequency. Pain usually is also felt at the penile tip
4) Colitis- unlikely as you have a normal bowel habit
Hope this answers your query
Thank you doctor. How can I narrow down on which one it is. Just to highlight, pain increases as soon as I have food and almost gives me an immediate relief if I use the toilet.
It may be either a Diverticular disease or Colitis. Get a couple of stool routine examinations, complete blood count and depending on the results you may have to undergo a colonoscopy with biopsy under the guidance of Gastroenterologist.
Hope, this helps to solve your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Are nausea and constipation side effects of Livalo (pitavastatin) ?
- What could be the cause of blood in stool and burning with normal CT...
- Raised liver enzymes, working with toxic chemicals, hepatitis infection
- How can abdominal varices be treated ?
- What do low GGT and ALP levels signify?
- Why do I have dizziness when I have a bowel movement ?
- Low appetite, eating disorder, weight lose. Suggest.
- What is the problem if I have a high level of liver enzymes?
- High level of SGOT, SGPT, Gamma GT, methotrexate for psoriatic...
- Stiff neck, fever, BP 127/70, pulse 60, stent, bundle block, enlarged...