Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Pain in the calf. Soft movable lump behind the knee. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10279 Questions
Hi I wanted your advice, I have pain an ache in my calf and a soft moveable lump behind my knee above towards thigh. It seem attach to the bony bit. You can move it about behind tendon. Do you know what it could be. Age 35 female
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A soft movable lump behind the knee is likely to be a muscular or tendon swelling .

Tensing of the muscles usually makes such swellings immobile. Relaxing the leg or bending the knee makes it less prominent.

Inflammation of bursae can also cause such swellings but they are persistent ,soft and generally don`t become tense and immobile with leg movement .

Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor