Pain in the abdomen, fever, pain and itching with white discharge while urination. Prescribed with Ceflum and antibiotics. Diabetic. Is it critical?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: 28th XXXXXXX 2012: My wife got high fever of 102 degree F. i called our family physician, who is out of town. he suggested paracetamol and Ceftum 500 antibiotic course. He also asked to do urine routine and C/S test.

29th XXXXXXX 2012: did urine test. today fever went down. she feel pain after urine. she got eitching at clitoris. some white discharge along with urine. pain in lower abdomen area.

31st XXXXXXX 2012: received the test result.(attached). sent the result to our family physician. He told infection is critical. and ask to consult gynocologist.

1st Feb 2012: we met gynocogist. he told nothing serious. normal infection after marraige. he suggest the test again and along with blood sugar as she is diabetic. He prescribed us cansoft,candid cream,FAS-3 Kit.

3rd Feb 2012: Got blood sugar report and urine routine report today.(attached)

I am bit confused having two type of response from two doctors. please let me know if the infection is critical or not. still they didnt start any antibiotic course according to the test sensitivity report. Please suggest me what to do now. I am bit worried.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 7 hours later
Dear,

You have nothing to worry about. Urinary tract infections are fairly common in women especially diabetic women.
Both your doctors have treated you right and well.
Your wife had urinary tract infection and was started on Ceftum by your family doctor. However, as the urine sample was given after taking antibiotic it did not show any evidence of infection.
The whitish discharge and itching your wife had suggests that she had superadded fungal infection and hence the tteatment with cansoft, candid and FAs- 3 kit.
Stay reassured; your wife has been treated well.
However, as already mentioned she has a higher chance to get these infections again and again. Manage the diabetes well and maintain good local hygiene.

Please come up with doubts, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 28 hours later
Hello Dr Goel,
Thanks for your response. today i received a new report for culture and sensitivity test. it looks like there is infection. i am attaching the report here with today's date in the file name (rakhi sahu-culture and sensitivity- 5th Feb 2011.pdf).

Please look into the report and suggest me what to do now.

also please let me know if anything is there to really worry about.

Looking for your response sir.
Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear,

Your wife's report certainly suggests infection. You should see your doctor and start her on antibiotic according to culture and sensitivity.

Do not worry. We would be able to treat the infection effectively.

Hope my answer is helpful to you. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad