Pain in teeth after dental work. Pain stops after eating. Is this normal?

Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I have a tooth that when it starts to ache, if I eat it stops. I did have work done on that tooth a few months ago and nothing helped until I noticed that if I eat when it starts it stops. It is almost as if my stomach has a direct line to my mouth to tell me to eat. Is this normal? Is there any way to stop this "alert" system?
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

If you will provide the following detail, I will be in a better position to guide you.

1. Do you have the habit of biting teeth again and again?
2. Do you have any hot/cold sensitivity?
3. What 'work done on the tooth' have you gone for?
4. Do you feel pain or any sensitivity?
5. Is your problem in all teeth or in a specific tooth?

This is not normal, but to rule out the cause I need to know these details.
So please provide me these details as soon as possible.

Awaiting for your reply.
Take Care.
Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later
1. No I do not have a habit of biting my teeth
2. I do have hot/cold sensitivity but only when it's an extreme cold (icy) and also to anything with alot of sugar.
3. The tooth was one that was only covered with a cap that broke; apparently while I was in military service they did some work that left that tooth hollow and never put on a permanent.
4. I do feel sharp pain when it starts. I've also noticed sore temples and tight muscles along my face which made me wonder if the repair work went a bit far.
5. It is just that tooth and like I said the pain subsides if I eat something. It is very strange.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

As you provided the detail, it seems that you are suffering from ‘cracked tooth syndrome'.
A symptom of this cracked tooth syndrome includes sharp shooting pain, relieved on biting any object.
The reason behind this is, when biting down, the cracked tooth segments usually move apart resulting in reduction of pressure on the nerves in the dentin of tooth. And as the pressure is released, the segments snap back together sharply, increasing the pressure in the inter-dentin nerves resulting in sharp shooting pain.

The treatment options for cracked tooth syndrome are-
1. Stabilization of tooth by core build up.
2. Composite restoration.
3. Root canal treatment.
4. Extraction.

As you said you have already undergone root canal treatment of your tooth, I will suggest you to visit an endodontist as soon as possible.

If you ignore this condition, you may suffer the following-
1. Severe pain.
2. Pulpal death.
3. Abscess.
4. Loss of tooth.

The sore temples and tight muscles of your face could be related to your fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, because these conditions can be associated with 'chronic myofacial pain syndrome'.

Hope this answered your query, if you have further any doubt I will be happy to help you.

Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta