Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Pain in stomach and bum with head ache. Is this a sign of an illness?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May not be meningitis.Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

The symptoms you suggested are not classic symptoms of meningitis. So no need to worry for meningitis.

I want few more information that help in managing your son.
1. Does he suffer from loose stool/ constipation / difficulty in defecation.
2. Is there any visible lesions on his abdomen or in bums
3. Pain abdomen is it squeezing type or aching or burning type.
4. Is the fever associated with chills and rigors? what is the temperature? is it too hot / just raised temp?
5. Any associated symptoms like vomiting, myalgia, neck pain, visual disturbance etc? and since when he is suffering from these?

These will help in diagnosing his problem.

For now ask him to take plenty of fluids, fiber diet, tab ranitidine and tab acetaminophen after discussing with doctor for fever and pain. This may help him.

I will be waiting for your reply. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in stomach and bum with head ache. Is this a sign of an illness? 16 hours later
This symptoms happen now and then the pain in his stomach is stil hasn't gone he doesn't seem heathly enough for his age 19
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for writing back.

Pain in stomach and not healthy enough for his age suggests some problem in GIT. There are many causes presents with these features. Some of the most frequent causes are acid peptic disease, Mal-absorption or irritable bowel syndrome. But only with this information it is very difficult to diagnose the problem he is suffering from.

So for my patients with similar complaints I usually start with drug (like pantoprazole 40mg) for acid peptic disease (pain presents in upper abdomen usually in epigastric region and vary according to food habits) and one NSAID for pain and head ache like acetaminophen and advice him for plenty of fluids, fiber diet, regular exercises and to avoid any junk food and some basic investigations to find the cause for the problem like complete haemogram, blood sugar level, USG abdomen and pelvis and stool microscopy.

Ask him to take Tab albendzole one stat and one after 15 days after food to kill any intestinal worms after discussing with your doctor.
Based on the examination and with the investigation we can correctly diagnose his problem and can treat accordingly. If he suffer from this problem more often then he needs to rule out immunodeficiency and any intestinal problem with investigation.

So I advice you to consult your doctor once for general physical examination and get done the relevant investigations for diagnosis and further management.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor