Pain in shoulder and heard clicking sound in ear while swimming. Looking for cure

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I went swimming and didnt warm up first. The water was cold and I heard a click in my right year and pain in my lower shoulder and I carried on swmming. This happened 2 years ago and now I feel pressure in my lower shoulder and this causes my head to shake.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa.
Usually, there is enough room between the Acromion and the rotator cuff so that the tendons slide easily underneath the acromion as the arm is raised. But each time the arm is raised, there is a bit of rubbing or pinching on the tendons and the bursa. With overuse, this can cause irritation and swelling of the bursa.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.
Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.