Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Pain in right ear, dizziness, pus pocket under tonsil, formed from ear ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Hi, for the past week I have had a pain that comes and goes in my right ear. And after a few days of this with occassional dizziness I felt like something was in my throat, so I had a look and I seen what looks like a puss pocket under my right tonsil. Could this be just a pus pocket that has formed from my ear?
Wed, 16 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

There is a tube that connects the nasopharynx ( above the tonsil box) with middle ear cavity (middle box in the hearing organ) called Auditory tube. This serves as a passage where the infections are easily passed from one to other.

Now coming to your symptoms, pain in the right ear, dizziness are consistent with pressure in the middle ear cavity. This pressure can be because of oozing of pus or serous material locally or come from nasopharynx. The most common reason for fluid in that region is infection, whether the source is middle ear or from tonsil should be found out. Since you have noticed a pus spot on the tonsil cleft, tonsillar abscess could be a possibility.

The common mode of treatment is appropriate antibiotics with supportive pain killers for a week to ten days. This is easily treatable during early stages. If the course of antibiotics are not helping then the ENT specialist can do a local drainage of the pus to relieve the pressure relieves the symptoms that you have.

So next step for you is to see a primary physician / ENT specialist for a prescription of antibiotics and symptomatic treatment.

Hope I answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in right ear, dizziness, pus pocket under tonsil, formed from ear ? 43 minutes later
So the abscess can be located below the right tonsil if it is coming from the ear? I didn't know for sure if I explained the location of the abscess well enough. I looked at a site that showed the opening of the eustachian tube to be located above the tonsil were the adenoid is but my infection pocket is on the bottom of the tonsil. So this could still be pertaining to the ear?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

You have exactly located the picture, in my previous reply I was saying the same thing the ET is opened in nasopharynx ( above the tonsil box). Tonsil box is in the Oropharynx.

Pus point at the base of tonsil indicates a tonsillar abscess, this abscess if big enough can cause pressure pain which is referred as ear pain.

Second reason for ear pain, the infection is within the middle part of the ear apparatus.

These are the best possible reasons. However the treatment remains the same as I mentioned above. I would like you to realize the importance of early treatment.

Wish you Good Health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor