Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain in penis, sciatica, left calf hurts, blood clot, hip pain. Serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have had a pain in my penis since I had a very bad case of sciatia from sitting in a chair with terrible posture for a week recovering from surgery, left calf hurt so bad I could barely stand and had to use a wheel chair at the ER,...blood clot was ruled out,..I still have left hip pain at times so they think I had a slipped disc,..but I stil get penis pain when I sit for an hour or two,,I do get releif when laying down or standing..any ideas?? could the sciatica cause any penis pain when sitting for a long period. I had similar pain about 2 years ago after lifting a huge tv,.i had a cystopty back then and the said all was well.(that procedure was not fun)That pain slowly went away in it sown in about 3-4 months,,but it was very uncomfortable....I am 5' 11' and wiegh 245 lb,..I am trying to lose at least 45 lbs to get down to a more healthy wieght and hoping this will also help my spine,.joints, and everything..any walking briskly on a treadmill okay for possible disc problems and/or sciatica?? the good news is that I don't have any E.D. from it, or pain with erections..Any help wil be greatly appreciated..thx XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later


Thanks for posting your query.

The pain which you have described radiating to the penis most likely seems to be the pain of sciatica itself.

It is due to the fact that when you sit for prolonged periods, the pain occurs and it goes away when you lie down.

Now, when you sit, there's a possibility of the compression of the exiting nerves from the spinal cord which causes these shooting pains. Once a person lies down, these shooting pains go away as the nerve compression is no longer there.

An MRI of the spine can help in exactly delineating the severity of the disease. The MRI tells us about the degree of the prolapsed inter vertebral disc.

One can walk/do tread mill even if one's suffering from the sciatica. However, if there's associated acute pain, then exercise should be avoided.

Lifting heavy weights are strictly to be avoided. Please consult a spine surgeon for the same.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in penis, sciatica, left calf hurts, blood clot, hip pain. Serious? 9 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX You have been very helpful..I will consult my doctor about an MRI,..I do have a question,..I used an ice pack under my back on my lower lumbar area and it seemed to help..I am guessing it reduced the inflamation in my vertabrae (discs etc.) My question is should I continue this at night when I come home from work....and is there any benefit or detrement to using a heating pad, either before or after the ice..or JUST the heating pad, I have heard various opinions on this, some say an inflamed or misplaced disc will react badly to heat..also those icy hot back patchs,,any benefit or detrement..The sciatica still leaves a dull ache in my upper left thigh and hip area..any excercises suggestions or heat /ice related to this area that may help heal it..I do use a XXXXXXX lower lumbar pillow in my car and office chair as well as a cocyx cushion to sit on as this seems to take some pressure off my lower spine..thank you again very much,..yoru help is greatly appreciated...Mark
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

This is a very controversial subject. There are no definite guidelines regarding the use of the ice pack or the heating pad in patients with lower back ache because of degenerative disc disease (disc prolapse). However a large number of doctors do use both: ice pack as well as heating pad alternately.. there is no known worsening effect due to the same.

I suggest you should consult a physiotherapist to learn the various back exercises which will help strengthen your back muscles and thus offload the strain in the spine.

Final treatment is by surgical technique most often spinal fusion. Other surgical methods include fascetectomy, foraminotomy, intervertebral disc annuloplasty, intervertebral disc arthroplasy, laminoplasty, laminotomy, microdiscectomy or spinal laminectomy.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then try to lose some weight (if you are overweight) and do a combination of strengthening, stretching and low-impact aerobic exercise after consulting a phsyiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor