Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Pain in neck and chest. Diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. Veins in hands are more visible. Reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 384 Questions
All evening Ive been feeling pain in my neck and slightly in my chest, but I figured it was because of tension in my jaw from anxiety. I went to get ready for bed and when I bent my left arm up there was pain and tightness on the inside of my elbow, and my vein was very visible. I kept getting ready for bed and then felt pain and tightness in my left hand, and looked and the vein there is also very visible. Looking closer a lot of the veins in my hands and wrists are much more visible than normal. What could cause this? Oh, also I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I know that some of my hormones are off. I dont know if thats relevant.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us

Experiencing generalized pain (all over the neck ,left arm, elbow , wrist etc.) and associated visible veins (varicose veins) are likely to be inter related.

The pain during enlarged veins are due to the result of the stagnation or pooling of blood, in and around the area, resulting decreased supply of oxygen to the nearby tissue, resulting pain.
It is advisable to go through a tissue level oxygen saturation test to know the level of tissue saturation and proceed with the results. Doppler study of veins helps to know the condition of vessels.

As your medical history reveals you are a chronic fatigue syndrome person, you will experience malaise after exertion; widespread muscle and joint pain. So you naturally experience immense pain than normal individual from mild exertion, that might also be the reason behind your painful upper limb.

If your symptoms are worsening further, immediately get a proper examination by a physician and get treated accordingly.

Take care and let me know of your future questions in your mind.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor