Pain in ligament behind knee

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Pain in ligament behind knee
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherpay and knee brace can help.

Detailed Answer:
The pain behind the knee that you have is due to osteoarthritis.
These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can continue with pain killers after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Pain in ligament behind knee 14 hours later
Thank you Dr. I am very active person. At age 59 I started Kungfu 4 years later at 63 I got my black belt. 3 years ago I hurt my lower back had surgery got well. After that I stopped kungfu and started Ballroom dancing. Now it is 3 mo. That I have this problem. I had X-ray it showed some arthritis. But I think besides arthritis my pain is coming from behind the knee. As I asked other people who have arthritis they show me top of their knee. I don’t have pain on top of my knee. It is behind my knee ligaments and muscle. I have to do my activity I have to get better and continue my dancing without it life has no meaning for me please tell me do I have another Dx on above arthritis? What can I do to get well what is altimate cure. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be bursitis or ligament strain or tear.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The other possibilities apart from arthritis are bursitis or ligament tear. This can be properly diagnosed after an MRI scan. The treatment will then depend on the cause. Rest and hot compress and using a pair of knee supports can help you till then.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pain in ligament behind knee 1 hour later
Thank you again Dr Tayal In regard to same problem what is Myeloma?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Myeloma is a type of cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Myeloma, also known as multiple myeloma, is a cancer arising from plasma cells, a type of white blood cell which is made in the bone marrow. Bone marrow is the 'spongy' material found in the centre of the larger bones in the body.
It can gradually spread to other parts of body.
Regards.