Pain in left leg just above the ankle. Could this be shin splints?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hi my name is XXXXXXX im a 56yr old female, I have pains that come and go in my left leg, it started in september, it started out just above the ankle right next to the shin bone and on both sides of the calf every now and then my ankle would hurt when I put pressure on it as if I hurt it some how..now I have pain in both calfs and right across the top of the left calf just under the bend of the back of the knee, kinda like a pinching pain..15 months ago I had and ultra sound down to check for dvt..it was negative.I do have bad knees..there is no swelling or redness or hot and cold spots on either legs..I work in a place where im walking on cold wet cement daily for about 3hrs a day..I also wear orthotics in my work shoes could this be shin splints or maybe my knees causing this pain..
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pain seems due to your bad knees. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Your pain in leg and ankle seems more due to your bad knees. Due to bad knees mechanical malalignment could occur and might be the cause of pain in your leg and ankle. I suggest you to go for xray of knee and ankle to see the changes in the joint. There is a feature to upload the reports/xray, kindly utilise that so that I can help you in better ways. Meanwhile you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
thank you, also can lowe back pain cause these symptoms. .I have chronic lower back pain, I think they said its herniated disc..
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It could be due to herniated disc. Detailed Answer: Yes, these symptoms could be due to nerve root compression at lumbar spine due to disc protrusion. A follow up MRI scan will help in confirming the findings.