Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Pain in left hip and elbow. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
My left hip has a large amount of pain, as well as my left elbow with my hip I cant seen to climb, walk, run I cant lay on my left side at night in bed I put an pillow between my legs but that doesn't seen to help I take advil thro out the night to help dull the pain at work I do a lot of lifting , shovelling and climbing. I am thinking arthritis I know my mother had it, but when I try to do my job the pain is constant no relief, I am in such pain from it. what such I do? or what can I do?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pain relief and see orthopaedic surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. There are two aspects to your management that need to be addressed as soon as possible to improve your quality of life. Firstly, You need better pain relief. I think you would benefit from additional pain-killers. I suggest regular paracetamol, continue the advil and consider a morphine-based pain-killer such as codeine. Your doctor may need to prescribe this. Physiotherapy may help build up core and hip muscles to support your hip better and reduce the pain. Secondly, you need a diagnosis so that definitive treatment options can be explored. I suggest you see an orthopaedic surgeon who may recommend an MRI. Arthritis would be the most likely diagnosis. You are relatively young to be suffering so badly from arthritis. There may be treatment options suitable that will provide pain relief and delay the need for a joint replacement. This would only be possible to know when the extent of the joint disease is known. I hope these suggestions are of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor