Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Pain in knee joint, sensation of momentary collapse in knee joint. Want to avoid knee replacement. Additional steps?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
I am 77 and just beginning to have knee joint problem, twinges of pain and a sensation of momemtary collapsing in the knee joint...I want to avoid knee replacement as long as I can...I can still walk about 30 minutes with minor soreness after...what additional steps should I take?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your symptoms it seems that both of your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
You can retard these degenerative changes by doing hot fomentation and taking lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc under the guidance of your orthopedician along with some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in knee joint, sensation of momentary collapse in knee joint. Want to avoid knee replacement. Additional steps? 9 days later
Thank you for the good advice. But I'm having a not unexpected at my age deterioration in the all of the critical 6 joints moving up from both knees, both hips and to both shoulder joints...that is pain (about 3 on the 10 scale when not moving) to about 6-7 when moving and putting weight on them. I have had mri's of one shoulder and XRAYS of the knees. None of these are at the stage where I am in pain 24/7 or immobile...only when sit or exercise too long. Rather than an unnessary return visit to the orthopedist, what should be my priorities here in trying to strengthen the muscles and ligaments involved...should I go to a physical therapist to establish exercises that will not make things worse, first and then to personal trainer who can start me on a weight and exercise equipment program. Presently I just walk for 20-30 minutes and do so infrequently and in pain.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can go to a physical therapist for the required exercises but along with that, you have to start taking joint lubricants so that further wear and tear of the joints can be prevented. You can get the appropriate dosages of glucosamine sulphate prescribed from your orthopedician.
Exercise is necessary but to smoothly carry out all the exercises, medicines will help you.
You can continue walking five days a week with the help of mild pain killers like acetaminophen, hot fomentation and local analgesic gels.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor