Pain in kidney and constipation. Any treatment?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Constipation
Question: adult, fem. stool hard as rocks but not small balls, smelling bad, pain straining
pain i back kidney area, for long time
exhausted after stool
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
You do seem to have many issues with your health. If you have
been maintained on any medications for anxiety,epilepsy or menier's
you would have to look into their side effects. Constipation can be
caused by many drugs especially some of the anti depressants or
pain medications.
You seem to have chronic fatigue which could be a component
of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Your decription of stools as "Hard Rock " really indicates that you
need to add more moisture, in other words, you need more fluid
intake. You also need to take a stool softener 1-2 daily at bed
time. If this does not work, Get a PEG solution (Gentlax or Miralax)
and start taking it 2 tablespoons a day and gradually increase the
dose till you start having watery stools. Then you can cut the dose
back till you have normal consistency of stool.
Staying on a high fiber diet which includes whole grain cereal,
fresh fruits are very helpful. It is possible that you might have
diverticulosis. If you have not had a colonoscopy, plese get one.
Not only can they detect polyps (Pre-cancerous), they can also
find out if you have extensive diverticulosis. Another condition
that is associated with this is gallstones. It may be worthwhile
to get a sonogram of your gallbladder,
Make sure that you have had Thyroid hormone levels checked,
because underactive thyroid can cause constipation, fatigue, dry
skin etc. You need blood tests like TSH, T-3 and T-4.
The smell of the stool may depend on the digestive, fermentation
process depending on the kinds of food we ingest. For example,
cabbage family of foods can give more gas and odor.
I hope this gives you an idea of what you can discuss with your
doctor.
I wish you well and a very happy, healthy holidays.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Dr Dr Narasi,
thank you very much for your reply.
I forgot to mention have chronic sinusitis with post nasal drip for three years.
for epilepsy I am on tegretol ret. 200mg; 450 mg daily in two doses 200 am & 300mg pm. The epilepsy is, as my neurologist says, "excellently controlled " & for one year had no seizure. I need no wheelchair or etc. Tegretol ret is the only allopathic medicine I take. Take Tibetan Medicine fr long term tibetan personal Amchi(Dr). also take homeopathy. I have repeatedly asked gp to do these test you suggest but was told " last year it was all right". I am not happy with this, it is always a struggle to get tests.
I have difficulty with eating, with vegetable, am vegetarian. Was diagnosed with MS in 1988 due to optic neuritis. I have crippling homesickness (am german), miss my friends & former life there terribly. Much fear recently for my health. I am afraid of colonoscopy because a friend died due to it. I have studied medicine, am a medical herbalist & homeopath, studying tibetan medicine. i have studied ayurveda. I miss life in India which i loved so much, I have lived there for 4 years.
Sometimes I have the vague hope all the health issues stem from nostalgia and missed chance to leave england years ago.
I wish you the very happiest of festive days and thank you so very much. XXXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
With all the health issues you have, you seem to have
a positive attitude in life. That is very very important
for anyone to enhance the immune system naturally.
I would like you to go on the PEG solution that will
relieve your constipation.
As for colonoscopy, don't be afraid. Lots of newer
comfortable instruments and sedation methods are
now available and it is very safe.
I wish you well.
Hello Dr Narasi,
yes, one must always keep a happy frame of mind :-).
memories coming back - had blood instead of stool long time ago, had to be taken to hospital. had gastroscopy with no signs. colonoscopy could not be done, as had seizures. it is seizures & colonoscopy give fear.
recently US for gallstones, no gallstones but two tiny polyps. am on omeprazole 20 occasionally, do not tolerate it well.
am so sick of being ill...
Is it not possible to be somatic all ? Lost my best lifefriend(male)of 50 years standing, my soul mate in april, in germany. had severe relapse MS and have not recovered fully.
All is very exhausting and extremely fatigueing. could not travel to his cremation as my passport had run out. trauma.
live in uk for 24 years. i am a buddhist, have been a buddhist nun but gaveback monastic vows a while ago. the closeness to teacher & teachings do give me XXXXXXX and support in this life.
Thank you so very very much it is so compassionate from you to answer.
I am not only ill - nevertheless i love life, ok, am bit lost in uk, but love my friends. also am book designer, illustrator and translate engl-germ and viceversa.
I so delight in this correspondence. Wishing you be happy, be free from adversity and always have good health. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 10 minutes later
Hello,XXXXXXX,
Thank you very much as well.
Buddha will give you the proper wisdom and
guide you to a smootuher path.
May God bless.