question-icon

Pain in gum. X-ray normal. Used fluoride treatment. Swallowed some fluoride. Will this cause any harm?

default
Posted on Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Question: I visited my Dentist today with pain above a tooth in the gum area. They took x-ray, and my tooth was fine and the root looked healthy. I have a habit of brushing my teeth too vigorously. Anyway, while at the Dentist, he let his assistant put a Flouride treatment on my teeth and gums to help with sensitivity especially on the the part of gum where it has receided some. My question concerns the flouride treatment. It was a flouride film, a thick gel like film. And I did not rinse after the treatment was applied. They said I could drink or eat afterwards as long as it was nothing hot. I did drink some water and couple hours later ate some soft food, not hot. Even though you're not supposed to swallow, of course I did swallow some/a little of the treatment, simply because it was in my mouth on the teeth and gums, and there was no way to avoid swallowing a some of it. I have heard that flouride can be toxic; It's all over the internet. Can swallowing some of the flouride from the one treatment cause harm to organs? Is there any reason for concern because I swallowed some of this flouride tx? I am a RN, however, I did not have schooling much about "flouride". And when I was in nursing school many years ago, nothing in my nursing classes taught about any side effects of flouride. In recent years, there have been concerns. Final question here: My last 'teeth cleaning' by the Dental Hygenist was 5 months ago, and I had a flouride tx at that time, also. Today, I asked them if it was safe to have one this close, at 5 months instead of waiting 6 months, and they said it was okay. Is that safe, in your opinion? Before this, I have gotten Flouride Treatments about once a year in recent years. Thank you. XXXXXXX.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar (47 minutes later)
Hello,

Thanks for choosing health care magic forum.

Professionally applied topical fluoride preparations usually contain 2 percent sodium fluoride, 8 percent stannous fluoride or 1.23 percent acidulated phosphate fluoride. Where as the drinking water has a fluoride content of 14 ppm until the water supply was changed to a fluoride free source. It had a higher concentration level of fluoride than that of topical fluoride applied!!

Since you ingested a very low fluoride concentration level, there is no need to be panic. The ingested contents will do no harm to you. And there is no chance of fluoride toxicity in your case.

Fluoride application in an interval of five months is absolutely safe and this procedure is performed in children of 3 years old too.

This is performed to reduce dentin sensitivity and progression of dental caries.

In addition I also recommend you to use soft-bristled toothbrush and brush your teeth always in up-down and back-forth motion to avoid chronic cervical abrasion of teeth which can make your teeth sensitive. Use desensitizing toothpaste to brush your teeth.

Hope this suffices. Feel free to ask further query.

Regards
DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Dentist

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2059 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Pain in gum. X-ray normal. Used fluoride treatment. Swallowed some fluoride. Will this cause any harm?

Hello,

Thanks for choosing health care magic forum.

Professionally applied topical fluoride preparations usually contain 2 percent sodium fluoride, 8 percent stannous fluoride or 1.23 percent acidulated phosphate fluoride. Where as the drinking water has a fluoride content of 14 ppm until the water supply was changed to a fluoride free source. It had a higher concentration level of fluoride than that of topical fluoride applied!!

Since you ingested a very low fluoride concentration level, there is no need to be panic. The ingested contents will do no harm to you. And there is no chance of fluoride toxicity in your case.

Fluoride application in an interval of five months is absolutely safe and this procedure is performed in children of 3 years old too.

This is performed to reduce dentin sensitivity and progression of dental caries.

In addition I also recommend you to use soft-bristled toothbrush and brush your teeth always in up-down and back-forth motion to avoid chronic cervical abrasion of teeth which can make your teeth sensitive. Use desensitizing toothpaste to brush your teeth.

Hope this suffices. Feel free to ask further query.

Regards
DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX