Pain in groin after heart catheterization. X-ray shows hydrocele. Is this serious?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: Since last heart catherization has resulted in 7-24 groin discomfort at right side of groin. Initally after catherization intense pain lasted 7 days. PIN WAS INTENSE WHEN LEGS WERE IN NORMAL POSITION, pAIN RELIEF WAS POSSILE WITH LEGS SPREAD WIDELY APART GAVE REASONABLE COMFORT FOR REST. SINCE THE R. GROIN AREA REMAINS CONTINUALLY UNCOMFORTABLE. x-ray DETERMINED A RIGHT HYDROCELE AS PRESENT? CAN THIS BE SERIOUS OR PLEASE OFFER RECOMMENDATIONS. I'm AGE 89 WITH HISTORY OF BLADDER CANCER EXCISED IN 1988 AND PROSTATE CANCER DIAGNOSED IN 2010. HAVE NEAR CONTENIOUS bph HISTORY SINCE 1957. REPLY
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Infected hydrocele Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It looks like you are suffering from an infected hydrocele, the pain in the groin is unrelated to your heart catherterization. Here is what I suggest to you 1. Please approach a general surgeon for clinical examination. 2. You will need to be put on antibiotics, a combination antibiotic like Amox with clavulanic acid is ideal 3. For the pain please take plain paracetamol two to three times daily. 4. You could also support and elevate the groin area with a soft pad, it will give some pain relief. I hope I was of help, if you have any further query please get back to me I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards