Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Pain in arms, weakness. Done back surgeries. May have degenerative disc disease. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I have severe pain in my upper arms, and sometimes accompanied by weakness. I can pick up a cup of coffee and drop it. It is impacting my life seriously. I've had two back surgeries (lower back) and have been told I have degenerative disc disease (have had for many years). Don't know what to do - over the counter NSAIDS don't even touch the pain!
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
It seems the degenerative disease of your spine has found a new post.
Your symptoms are quite suggestive of neurological weakness in the upper limbs and most likely cause is the problem with spinal cord due to a generalised generative problem of vertebral column.
Please get a physical examination by a neuro-physician and most likely you would require MRI Cervical spine to be done to detect the cause and extent of the disease.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor