Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Pain in abdomen. CT scan came clear. Can you suggest some test to be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3630 Questions
I am having a pain in my right abdominal area. Location is about 2-3 inches from the tip of hip bone in a radius of 2-3 inches. A CT Scan showed nothing, but the pain still presets and is steady getting worse. I am waiting for an appointment with a gastrologist,but in the mean time I am thinking I may just need to head to the ER. Any idea what I may need to suggest to be tested for?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the site of involvement, I suspect you to have problems with liver and gallbladder. Such pains are progressive and increase in intensity unless treated.

A CT scan is not a good diagnostic tool to determine problems in soft tissue organs like liver, its ducts (Bile ducts), gall bladder and cystic duct. A MRI is good but a MRCP (Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) is gold standard imaging modality to identify structural defects even in smaller structures like ducts.

It’s good to hear that you have an appointment with a gastroentrologist who may arrive at a diagnosis and place you on a specific management with the help of above investigation tools.

Meanwhile, for the pain you may take antispasmodics if it is too severe.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor