Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

180 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Pain around ribs, granuloma on chest and abdomen. Have elevated calcium level. Prognosis?

Answered by
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 1658 Questions

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have pain on the left side around and below my ribs. This has become more constant over the past few months and rarely goes away. I also have many granuloma in this area - a growing number - which seems to have also spread further into my chest and down into my abdomen. I have had x-rays and CT scans in the past (most recently around a year ago) that stated I have calcified granuloma. Blood tests are normal except for slightly elevated calcium level on a regular basis.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 43 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your current blood sugar status both fasting and postprandial.
Do you have radiation of pain from back to front of chest?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be high possibility of encroachment of calcified granulomas on nerve bundles running below ribs and also present in overlying skin.

With the elevated serum calcium, there appears to be destruction of ribs with release of calcium in blood.
In my personal opinion, you should go for excision biopsy of calcified granuloma. Calcified granuloma is a x XXXXXXX and CT scan finding and exact diagnosis could be made after biopsy.
There may be high possibility of osteoclastoma causing destruction of ribs and elevated serum calcium.

There may also be chances of diabetic neuropathy as all investigations are normal and pain is still persisting.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up.
You should go for complete blood count, blood sugar both fasting & postprandial, glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c), serum Vit B12 level and nerve conduction velocity studies.
You should also go for excision biopsy of granuloma with expert opinion of pathologist and surgeon.

Meanwhile, you should take medicines for neuropathic pain such as pregabalin, gabapentin, oxcarbazepine, methylcobalamin, epalrestat and multivitamin along with antioxidants.

As such there appears to be no correlation between past history of histoplasmosis and present symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 40 minutes later
Labs from 2/8/13: HA1c was 7.8. All other results were in normal range except for calcium slightly elevated at 10.5, which has been occurring now for a few years. CBC of 8.4. No, the pain is never in my back - continuous on left side around and below ribs. I recently had nerve conduction studies in arms and hands, which were normal. What would be causing granuloma, especially since I seem to keep having more of them? Was concerned that it could be sarcoidosis or damage caused from histoplasmosis. Any other input? (This pain in the rib area began several years ago after MVA, but has continued to get worse....and more granuloma.)
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 hours later
Calcified granuloma indicates past illness not a current illness.
You should keep watch on growing granulomas and should go for biopsy.
Rise in calcium level with granuloma are also a matter of worry.
There may also be a chances of sarcoidosis and exact diagnosis could be made only after clinical examination.
You should take proper check up by XXXXXXX medicine specialist.
Best regards,
Dr. XXXXXXX Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Sarcoidosis

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with extrapulmonary TB in September 2010 while previously treated for sarcoidosis. I do have granulomas. After 5weeks on Rifafour e-275, I actually feel even just as bad, but for the shivers. I suffer cracking headaches in the morning and back acke. My left backside (i think it is the spleen) aches constantly and is tender and painful when sitting against a chair. Couldmy spleen be infected an d what else. Im female 54yrs of age. Very depressed feelings bug me constantly- as if I dont care at all.

doctor1 MD

my father in law has sarcoidosis and has had an infection which has caused pneumonia they have given him oxygen as his oxygen levels are 70% and lower he has since had 2 heart attacks and his body is relying on a ventilator to help him breath will he recover from this and how long can he be on a ventilator as I have heard it can cause bacteria infection

doctor1 MD

I have had horner's syndrome of the right eye progressing for 2 - 3 years now, I have had CT with contrast of head, neck, and chest, and an ossified band shaped lesion was located between the first and third rib (i think) on my chest, about 6 weeks ago, but they need an MRI with contrast which I will have in 10 days to know more. Can you tell me if the MRI will be able to identify if it was TB, if it is sarcoidosis, or scar tissue? I am nervous every day that I have a Pancoast Tumor, even though they said it looked very neat to be cancer, the pulmonologist who saw my scans said it was possible but not likely.

doctor1 MD

Pain on left upper side of chest, out of breath, sweating in cold room, extremely fatigued and acid reflux .

doctor1 MD

My mother is suffering from sarcoidosis and Dr. has asked her to go under biopsy then only he will start the diagnosis of this disease.But my mother is very much afraid of biopsy as she came to know the side effects of the biopsy.Please suggest me that in order to get disgnosed of this disease we have to go under biopsy and what would be the side effects of this test.Please answer me as soon as possible as she has to undergo this test with 1-2 days.
Isha Budhiraja

doctor1 MD

Hi I had a CT scan in February 2017 that revealed 2 lung nodules. In august another scan revealed 2 more. Another scan is scheduled in February 2018. Should I get a second opinion? Should I be concerned?

doctor1 MD

Good Evening, I had a PFT test as it was suspected I had sarcoidosis . Thankfully i do not as my chest CT was unremarkable. I also had an echocardiogram which was unremarkable. On PFT's my spirometry was normal however my dlco was slightly low at...