Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Pain around pelvic area and groin. X-ray and MRI clear. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
My wife has severe pain in her right side around the pelvic area and towards her groin. She has had an x-ray and an MRI both of which came back clear. Specialist told her this morning she is stuck with it and just needs to manage the pain, however she can barely get out of bed and can't do much anymore. What can she do?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 55 minutes later
As per your query,your wife is having severe pain.
As MRI and x XXXXXXX are normal,pain may be due to muscular origin.
Please give her skeletal muscle relaxant and Antioxidant tablets.Add antibiotic too.
Some abdominal conditions like Appendicitis and Right sided ureteric stone can also have pain in the lower abdomen on right side with radiation to the groin and pelvis.
Get an ultrasound abdomen and rule out the above conditions.
If you come back with above tests reports,i will clarify further
Wish her good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain around pelvic area and groin. X-ray and MRI clear. What can be done? 40 minutes later

Thank you for your reply. I am not happy with it.

1. You are asking me to actually give her antibiotics with neither sign, symptoms nor diagnosis of bacterial infection. This is very irresponsible. A wild guess?
2. You are recommending muscle relaxants for which there is little or no proper evidence to support their effectiveness.
3. You are asking me to give her antioxidants without telling me why, or for what. Another wild guess?
4. I have told you that she had an MRI which was clear and yet you are suggesting Appendicitis.

I would like a refund please, this advice is poor and not in the least helpful.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
As per your first query,you told that she is having pain and her investigations are normal.
So,bony causes are excluded.
You didnot mention the area/part of which MRI was taken.I thought MRI was taken for pelvis.
1.I have seen many cases of appendicitis wi
th pelvic pain.The location of appendix will not be the same in all individuals.There is an entity called pelvic appendicitis.So,i prescribed antibiotic for suspected appendicitis.
2.If the patient is having pain near bony parts and xray and MRI are normal,then muscular pain has to be considered
3.Antioxidants will relieve pain in some individuals.
4.You have not mentioned that MRI of abdomen was taken.But,when pelvic pain is complained the radiologist might have missed intra abdominal disease.But,CT Scan is superior for appendicitis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain around pelvic area and groin. X-ray and MRI clear. What can be done? 4 hours later
She had an ultrasound last year because kidney stones were suspected and that was clear. She was told after her scan that her appendix was normal. She is currently on pain relief so I can't see the point in antioxidants unless they are treating something specific. Is intra-abdominal disease the same thing as appendicitis?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 11 hours later
Ultrasound can diagnose kidney stones.
In case of appendicitis,unless appendix is grossly inflammed and enlarged it is not seen in ultrasound.
Faecal stones called faecoliths can be present in the appendix and cause pain in apoendicitis.
These things are clearly seen by CT scan.
Appendix is intra abdominal organ.if it is inflammed or blocked with stones,there will be pain.
Please exclude this and slso femoral/inguinal hernia
Here,if the patient is having pain in the lower part of abdomen on right side and all the tests come normal, we do Appendicectomy
Wish her good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor