Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Pain and swelling on leg. Feeling difficulty to walk. Found fluid accumulation. Do I need surgery?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My brother started complainig of pain behind the limb just below the knee on the right leg and has difficulty in walking as if it is a catch. There is a slight swelling.Doctor told that it is due to fluid accumulation and asked him to take bed rest for 1 week, and still if it is not reducing he has to undergo a surgery.
kindly let me know what is the cause for such a condition and also the treatment.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your History suggests that your brother is suffering from Poplitial cyst/ Bakers cyst.
Baker's cyst is a buildup of joint fluid (synovial fluid) that forms a cyst behind and below the knee.

1)Continue Resting the affected knee and keep the leg elevated whenever possible.
2)Use a cold pack or ice wrapped in a protective covering to ice the affected area when it's bothering him.
3)Use a knee sleeve or brace for compression.
4)Gentle range-of-motion and strengthening exercises for the muscles around a knee also may help to reduce the symptoms and preserve knee function.
5)His Doctor may inject a corticosteroid medication, such as cortisone, into the knee to reduce inflammation.
6)His doctor may drain the fluid from the knee joint using a needle. This is called needle aspiration and is often performed under ultrasound guidance.

He may discuss with his doctor for surgery to remove the cyst if it doesn't resolve and it affects your joint movement.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query,rate and give your reviews if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor