Pain and stiffness in finger after dupuytren's skin graft. How to get relief?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I had a dupeytrens skin graft on my little finger 5 months ago and it still hurts and my finger is stiff
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later

Preoperative pathology and severity of involvement means ‘stage of disease of little finger’ is important for successful outcome of operation. If you have previous investigations or reports please let me know, so we can predict outcome.

Dupuytren contracture is one of the progressive conditions. Therefore, it is quite difficult to have complete recovery. There are different modalities according to stage of disease.

If your symptoms are appearing back then you need to consult your surgeon again for evaluation. If pain is associated with deformation again then treatment plan be modified. However, it needs detailed clinical evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Looking forward for your response.

Thanking you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 17 hours later
I have had 7 successful operations on my hands for dupeytrens contracture in the past, all successful but this last one on my little finger, the wound would not heal so he operated again and put a cross flap of skin graft from another finger to the wound.
the finger is straight now but won't bend because of the large amount of graft underneath the knuckle so it can't bend and the graft is painful. Is this the nerves growing back and will eventually stop stinging or will this be permanent. the only alternative is amputation and I want to avoid this.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 hours later

As this operation is little complicated due to non-healing of wound. The pain is mainly due to failure to bend finger. Tingling sensation may be due to regeneration of nerve.

However, final outcome is difficult to predict. Wait and watch for best is the choice at present.

Be in regular follow up with the surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 13 hours later
thankyou for the answer, just one final question, is there any cream I can buy to relieve the tingling whilst the nerves regenerate?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later

There are oral medications available to relieve tingling. I will suggest not to take any of the drugs available over the counter because wound is already complicated. Consult your surgeon and get the right prescription. It is necessary for meticulous healing.

Thanking you.