Pain and pressure around eye. Taking treatment for sinus infection. Is this migraine related?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: So I have had pain and pressure around my right eye extending to the back of the head with an upper lid proptosis that has come, gone and returned. Presently treating as a sinus infection but negative on CT and no drainage. I have Graves but the Opthomologist states it is not exopthalmos. My level was normal last May. My teeth and ear hurt off an on. I am wondering if this could be Migraine related, or from my C6 C7 protrusion from a car accident 3 years ago. I have had migraine problems and I am having perimenopause. Should I see a neurologist or get an MRI? I also have a terrible metallic smell that has come and gone and returned. I am a non smoker, and only other hx is vericose veins and I've had a chole.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
An upper lid swelling with headache may be due to cavernous sinus issue. Please get a MRI of the brain done to rule out those issues. You would also need to see an ophthalmologist to rule out a local cause like blepharitis. If MRI is normal, it may be migraine but it would definitely help us rule out a cervical problem.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli