Pain and itching in right ear. Suggest a solution

Dr. Sriram Nathan

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Often I am feeling pain in my right ear and itching sensation. When the weather become Chill or if water goes in the ear I am feeling the itching sensation. Past two months I am facings the problem. Only in right side ear
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 18 hours later
Brief Answer: could be just an irritation Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to health care magic, I have understood your problem and I can assure you that it is a common problem seen in most of us and is very treatable. Just follow these few points and you will be fine: 1. Since you mentioned that only the right side is having the problem I will assume that it is because in all probability you are right handed and you are giving priority to the right ear. Let me explain, you may preferentially use your right ear when you have to use the phone, or when you feel an itch or when you have to work. This is most probably why your right ear is affected more. 2. Avoid the use of buds and also avoid putting anything in the ear to clean. This includes cotton, key chains and even towel or cloth which many frequently do. 3. Make sure you chew on both the sides of your mouth equally. This is important because when we chew, the ear gets cleaned and the side you do not chew, the ear gets blocked and starts itching. Also get a dental consultation to rule out any caries teeth especially on the right side. 4. Never expose your ears to cold air or water and make sure you are never in the direct blast of the AC or the fan in your home or workplace. 5. Check your blood sugar levels, itching is an early indication of diabetes. 6. Itching can also occur in vitamin deficiency so take a course of multivitamins like zincovit for a couple of weeks and see it that helps. Your doctor will know about this. 7. If you feel a blocked sensation or hearing loss as such then get an audiometric analysis with PTA and impedance and get back to me with the report. 8. Do steam inhalation with menthol at least two to three times in a day for a week or so and see if your problem improves. I would usually add an antihistamine like levocetrizine to reduce the irritation further. Your doctor will know about this. 9. Finally if none of the above help then you must get your ear drums examined by me or any ENT so that a proper directed treatment can be instituted. Hope you get well soon and I will be happy to help you out if you have any other doubts. Do excuse me for the delay in answering your question. regards Dr Sriram Nathan