Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Pain and burning during intercourse, symptoms of vaginismus. How to get rid of the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
hi Im 31 year old and married for last seven months .Ive been having symptoms of vaginismus and have not been able to have painless intercourse. As I experience lot of pain and burning sensation during insertion me and my husband have stooped having intercourse. please advide how can I get rid of this problem. Also Ive checked online there are vaginismus kits available , how can I get the same in Mumbai
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 15 minutes later

First of all, congratulations on your marriage!!

Vaginismus (painful sexual intercourse) can have organic or psychological cause.
1. Organic causes may be local infection in vaginal or cervix area (the birth canal passage); injury (may not be visible to outside) to that area; some mass in local area; etc.
2. The Psychological causes may be like not being able to lubricate adequately; not having proper understanding of sexual cycles by either of the partners; depression; anxiety; any sexual or relationship conflicts; etc.

The treatment depends on the cause. For example infection will need appropriate antibiotics, presence of mass would need surgical correction and so on.

Though kits for treating vaginismus are available in the market, I would earnestly suggest to first to seek a gynaecologist who will examine the local area and do a per-vaginal examination. Along with that she might advice some test to confirm whether or not any local pathology is present.

If no organic pathology, then a psychiatrist or counsellor consultation will be needed in addition to kits that are in the market. He/she will take a detailed history or some psychometric test to find out in which psychological area the problem lies. And then the treatment will go on.

At last I would say, this is a common condition and is treatable

Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have any enquiries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain and burning during intercourse, symptoms of vaginismus. How to get rid of the problem? 2 hours later
olrite....can you also tell me where can I buy those kits in Mumbai ..Also I had consulted a gynaecologists last month regarding some other issue but no such abnormality was detected by her....also shall I consuly any Psychiatrist or there are any specialised phychiatrist for this
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 34 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Vaginismus kit may be available in some bigger "surgical stores" or may be the medical/surgical store attached to KEM Hospital.

Any Psychiatrist, sexologist consultation could be of help to you.

If you have mentioned your problem of vaginismus to your gynaecologist before she examined you and has ruled out any local area pathology, then you can be certain of the fact that no organic problem is there. Whereas, if you have not mentioned the problem and you are assuming that she can detect, it may not be right.

Hope this would help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor