Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Pain after pyeloplasty surgery. Had kidney stones and stent removed. Growth or scar tissue or nerve damage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
I am 58 yrs. old. I had a open pyloplasty surgery 8yrs ago. It went well. Since then, over the years, where the surgeon cut, all across my entire right waist, it hurts. Lately moreso. Its hard, lopsided, because of how they had to put me back together. Like a pinching, achy pain. If I am sitting its not bad, its when I walk or lift. I just had 3 procedures for kidney stones, and had a stent removed last week. So I had 3 abdominal/pelvic ct scans done in a period of 3 months. Wouldn't they beable to see something there in my waist area, if there was like a growth or scar tissue,maybe nerve pain..damage>
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

All these symptoms you are experiencing are probably related to the pyeloplasty surgery.

It is probably a consequence of nerve damage as well muscle weakness secondary to the surgery.

No test shall pick up this abnormality and nothing much can be offered to you as effective treatment.

However you could try pain killers like Tab.Tylenol twice a day. Applying cold or warm compresses directly to a painful area often helps.

Pain due to nerve damage can be treated by disrupting a nerve pathway that transmits pain signals. The pathway is disrupted by injecting a caustic substance (such as phenol) into a nerve to destroy it, by freezing the nerve (in cryotherapy), or by burning the nerve with a radiofrequency probe.

Ultrasonography that provides XXXXXXX heat (diathermy) may relieve the pain of osteoarthritis and muscle strain. Some people benefit from transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). A gentle electric current is applied through electrodes placed on the skin's surface.

Biofeedback and other cognitive techniques (such as relaxation training, hypnosis, and distraction techniques) can help people control, reduce, or cope with pain by changing the way they focus their attention.

Physical therapy or chiropractic therapy also can treat chronic pain.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor