Pacemaker and stent fitted. Now congestive heart failure. Life expectancy?

Dr. Tejas Shah

Pediatrician, Critical Care

Posted on Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: it said right away im the only daughter and i love my dad so sos so much please dont make me wait 24 hours My dad is 77 years old and he has a pasemaker and a stint in his heart and now CHF pleasese help is he going to die
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 2 hours later

I can understand and appreciate your feelings and concerns regarding your father.

I need more information to guide you better, especially with regards to his CHF. When and how has he been diagnosed with CHF?
Have you seen Cardiologist for that?
Has the Cardiologist suggested angiography to further look at blood vessels supplying the heart?
What are his current medications?

There are lot of different medications and modalities to treat CHF. However, first the cause of CHF needs to be identified at this point in time. I am presuming that in past he had some heart issues and hence he needed Pacemaker and Stent insertion.

Your dad needs your support at the moment. He may be having the same feeling as yourself. Please try and avoid discussing about death or having such thoughts. If you have a friend who you can share your thoughts, please do discuss. That will relieve lot of stress for you. There are many charitable organizations where you can call and discuss out your concerns without fear of being identified.

Please revert back with you answers and we can discuss it out further.

Thanks
Dr Tejas Shah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad