PSA level is 0.1 12/22 to 6.3. Could it be due to heart surgery or hernia?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Question: Hi
My husband had radiation for prostate cancer three years ago. His psa has been 0.1 since until now. This year he had hernia. His psa has risen since his last of 0.1 12/22 to 6.3 now. Bone scan, cat scan of pelvic area, and manual exam are all negative. Could his heart surgery or hernia cause this? We don't know what to do, wait and see or? We live in Maui.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The change in the PSA is certainly a concern. This is not something that would have been caused by the surgery or any complications related to the surgery.

I am glad that imaging studies have been done. The only other imaging study which would be recommended would be a bone scan.

After all this is done I would suggest that he meets with a medical oncologist to discuss management. The rise in the PSA most likely represents a recurrence of the prostate cancer.

We have very good medications that can keep this under control for a very very long time.

Thanks again for sending a question. If you have specific questions that you would like me to further review with you I would be happy to address those also.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hi

The bone scan was also negative. They can find no tumors. Would a pet scan be worthwhile since all scans and physical examines find nothing? Where would the cancer be hiding? What medicines would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Thank you for the follow up question.

8P ET scan might be helpful but if there is not a significant amount of disease it might not be able to tell you exactly where the cancer cells might be hiding.

There is likely a very small amount of cancer that is secreting the PSA. At this point the size of the cancer is beyond the sensitivity of most of our imaging studies.

As far as medications this is something you need to discuss with a medical oncologist. A typical regimen would include Lupron and Casodex. This is considered hormonal therapy and would likely work for many years.

Thanks again for your query. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Robert
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Two more questions please.

Does a free PSA of 44% have any significance even though the total psa has risen since last tested in December of 2011 from 0.1 to 6.3? We are scheduled to leave January 3rd on a four month around the World, 116 day cruise. Do you deem it medically necessary in your opinion th cancel?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Hello again.

You may actually be able to go on your trip and enjoy your plan vacation. The hormonal medications which I discussed previously can be given in and injection which will last for 3 to 4 months. I would suggest that you XXXXXXX with a medical oncologist as soon as possible to discuss this.

I'm very hopeful that with hormonal manipulation the prostate cancer can come under very good control it that with this type of injection you can enjoy your vacation and when you return you can also discuss continued management of this condition. As we have made many advances in prostate cancer this has become more of a chronic disease rather than an immediately life-threatening illness.

Angst again for your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns. I would be happy to discuss any questions with you.

Dr. Robert