Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

PCOS, thick uterus lining. Is anesthesia normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
D & C in a doctors office?

Hello Dr.

I am 40 yrs old. I have 1 child and I have PCOS. Last year I did a D&C at a hospital and the results came back that I have no-typia hyperplasia. 2 weeks ago I had my annual pap and it came back normal. I also had an trans-vagnial ultrasound that showed my lining of the uterus is thick..(1cm I think). Anyways, My doctor then advised me to have an endometrial biopsy to check that there are no changes in the hyperplasia, when he tried, he was unsuccessful, he said that my cervix is to tight and long. He then now wants to do a D &C in his office on 12-13. He said that I will be under anesthesia and I will be monitored by an anesthesiologist. I never hear of this procedure being performed in a gyno office. Is this safe? Is this a common practice? I am really nervous. I am concernered about waking up after profopol. I do have a heart murmur and my EKG's are always abnormal. Should I be worried? I just wanted your advice on this procedure being performed in an office rather than a hospital. Thanks for listening.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Dilation and curettage is a minor surgery which is usually performed in a hospital or an ambulatory surgery care centre. It can be done under local, spinal or general anaesthesia. As you are having a murmur with abnormal EKGs and anaesthesia is to be given, the procedure should be done in an operation theatre in a hospital with all the emergency requirements.

As I believe that more information helps physicians guide their patients better, I would like to know any symptoms that you might be experiencing currently.

I hope I have answered your query.

Best wishes

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor