PAIN DOWN LEFT ARM FROM SHOULDER TO ELBOW AND ELBOW

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: PAIN DOWN LEFT ARM FROM SHOULDER TO ELBOW AND ELBOW TO WRIST. ON GOING FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS, COMES AND GOES, VERY SHARP PAIN
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
A sharp intermittent pain down the arm upto the wrist can be related to nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D