PAIN DOWN LEFT ARM FROM SHOULDER TO ELBOW AND ELBOW
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.
Thanks for posting your query.
A sharp intermittent pain down the arm upto the wrist can be related to nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?