Overweight,fatigue,dizziness,blood pressure 130/90 in 12 year old

Dr. Deepak Anvekar

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2012 in Child Health
Question: hi... i have a 12 years old kid. he used to be over weight and managed to adjust under a medical supervision (without any supplements) almost a year ago.
lately (during the past two weeks) he started to complain from fatigue and dizziness repeatedly... i took it light... then one day i had his doctor see him.... his blood and urine analyses are quite normal ... the doctor measured his blood pressure and found it to be 130/90 mmHG. the doctor said this to be high for his age and thought to be psychological!!. He advised Inderal 10mg but I am afraid to give it to him.
Along the day yesterday his readings were 127/94 and 125/96 .. which i believe high.
is it really alarming?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

From the history provided, it seems that your kid is infact having a higher blood pressure compared to the normal kids in his age group.

At the age of 12, the normal blood pressure usually is :
Systolic BP - Ranging from - 100 - 110 mmhg AND
Diastolic BP - ranging from 59 - 65 mmHg

Since your kids BP is above this range : Systolic above 125 mmhg and Diastolic above 90 mmhg, he will definitely benefit by anti-hypertensive medications.

Inderal (Propranolol) is a very good medication and does not cause major side effects in the starting dose of 10 mg that the doctor has prescribed. He would have good benefits with taking it as advised.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.