Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Overweight. Having pulling or fullness on side of rib cage and mid back area. Any remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
I have been having a pulling or fullness sensation on my left side. It will sometimes feel as if I have a knot sitting there. It seems to be most active while I am sitting. I am considered to be obese and I wonder if that is causing pressure on something. The sensation will sometimes radiate to up under the bottom of my left rib cage and sometimes seem to be in my mid back area. Not really any pain just annoying feeling.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

For a person with pulling or fullness on left side with pain radiating to the back ........ i would consider acid peptic disease as one of the causes among the various differential diagnosis that could be possible.

You are taking Aleve for your Carpal tunnel syndrome. That could be contributing to your problem or could be a cause of that.

Your doctor will start on antacids, proton pump inhibitors etc to reduce the acidity and decrease gastritis (after confirming the diagnosis by endoscopy if required and ruling out other etiologies that could cause such problem)

May be you may have to stop Aleve and start a medication which is more protective for the gastric lining.

Other than these various life style changes described below will help you.

1. Do some exercises.....may be a walk.
2. Reduce stress.
3. Have your meal at the right time... do not miss break fast.
4. Avoid over eating and fatty foods.
5. Reduce spicy foods, coffee, tea etc.
6. Avoid drugs causing gastritis like pain killers
7. Relaxation exercises like Yoga, breathing exercise, listening to music, playing with children etc. would help.
8. Pray God.
9. Look at the positive things in life.

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.
Take care

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor