Over weight. Having lot of hair on face. What can be wrong?
Please follow the options below...
There are many health conditions that could be related to no period and hair in face in a 18 years old young lady, where the most important is the
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) = in this case, the estrogen and progesterone levels are imbalanced.
For the right diagnosis, you should consult and OG to do an ultrasound of the uterus, ovaries to check for possible cysts.
In addition, it is important to check the levels of estrogen, progesterone, androgen, insulin, blood glucose and lipid levels together with thyroid function to identify the right underlying problem.
In the majority of cases, girls with PCOS are more prone to being overweight or obese, have diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. Therefore, measures must be taken in time.
With regards to treatment, although there is no specific one, however, there exist many ways to overcome such problems, including:
- as your granddaughter is obese, it is good to start losing weight. You can talk to a physician or dietitian to prepare diet menu for her with healthy foods.
In addition, you should encourage her to do more physical activity as it would help in losing weight and reversing PCOS.
- Other treatment options include pills such as birth control pills to re-balance the levels of estrogen and progesterone.
Some other times, if the OG or endocrinologist would see it appropriate to use anti-androgens that could lower the levels of male hormones that will help getting off the hair from her face and start the periods.
Furthermore, Metformin is also used in such cases to lower insulin levels (which increase androgen levels), and to help losing weight, both would help stabilize the menstrual cycle.
At last, you should contact your OG to choose the best option for your granddaughter.
All the best to her and you all!
Please follow the answer below...
Hi and welcome again,
Usually, the signs of cysts are as mentioned earlier (the one that your granddaughter already has).
With regards to stomach issues, sometimes, girls or women might experience some types of discomfort in the abdomen (tummy).
However, the majority of cases have reported the signs of your granddaughter.
Do not worry, once you get the lab results, talk to her OG to start the right therapy together with lifestyle and diet changes and you will see the improvement very soon.
Hope it answered to your inquiry!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swollen and red area painful over weight what is wrong
- Whats wrong with me im always tired but i get lot of sleep
- Have acne dark scars on face what is wrong
- Exhausted thirsty lost weight what is wrong
- Weight reduction is slow what is wrong with me
- Eating little gaining weight whats wrong
- Losing weight without trying whats wrong
- Lost weight without trying whats wrong
- My left eye twitches a lot whats wrong
- Muscle pain all over the body what is wrong
- May have a mild attack of gout. Red and swollen. Uric acid was slightly...
- Over weight. Having lot of hair on face. What can be wrong?
- What are the chances of getting diabetes for a person having chronic...
- Child having hair loss, unable to gain weight and sweating. Had a blood...
- Took 5 mg of propranolol. Will there be any side effects?
- Itching sensation all over body. Noticed blood under tongue. Are they...
- Having mild to moderate pain after root canal treatment. Could this be...
- Have diarrhoea and diagnosed with Cryptosporidiosis. Anything serious?
- Pain in left thigh, testicular pain, dizziness and nausea. Pain radiates...
- Taking nexium and having stomach upset. How long should I take nexium?