Over the past 2 years I started having ear infections

Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Over the past 2 years I started having ear infections behind the ear drum that were causing severe vertigo. . I had tubes put in August 2016 where I had perfect hearing. In Dec 2016 I had mild hearing loss. August 2018 I had moderate hearing loss, more vertigo, several ear infections, and dripping and cracking sensations. They even crackle and feel full and drippy when there is no indication of just looking in ear there is a problem. I recently saw a neurosurgeon that did a CT and said while there is no indication right now. He thinks it is ostoscelerosis. I asked about estacian tubes and he said he didnt think it was the issue. He said to come back in a year for another audio test. The CT did indicate that there was thickening of the tympanic membrane on both ears. More so in the ear I have worse hearing. I am wondering if I should seek a 2nd opinion? Im getting more deaf and hurt.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to visit an ENT surgeon and not neurosurgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hii.

You need to visit an ENT surgeon and not neurosurgeon. You may be having infection of the middle ear. You may need to start an antibiotic tablet and ear drop and nasal steroid spray.

You need to undergo an examination under microscopy and pure tone audiogram, impedance audiogram and rigid nasal endoscopy. Please review with the reports and then we can come to a conclusion.

Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj