Over the last 4/5 years my husband has torn his

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Over the last 4/5 years my husband has torn his rotator cuff (no injury know) torn his bicep (from over extending) he has torn his knee been diagnosed with 2 bulging discs in lower back, cervical steinois and now has hip pain. Do you think there could be a condition causing weskness
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes to weakened ligaments

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It seems like the problem in this case is weakened ligaments and this may be due to one or more causes. Gout and parathyroidism (over production of the parathyrioid hormone PTH) and steroid injections are known to affect ligament stability, so I recommend your husband does a complete blood test, PTH levels and a urine test to start with.
Another cause for weakened ligaments can be use of a certain group of antibiotics, known as Fluoroquinolones (i.e Ciproflaxacin etc). If this is the case, discontinuation of the antibiotic and switching to an alternative outside this group would be the sensible thing to do.
I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wishing you all the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee