Otitis media, Meniere's disease, Vertigo, Tinnitus, inner ear problems

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had two MRI's both looking for inner ear problems due to mild vertigo I have been experiencing. Both ENT's said that I had fluid on my Mastoid, one gave me antibiotics and thought it had appeared to clear up(Levaquin). There has always been "whooshing" sounds in my right ear wher the fluid is. For years and years i have had this. Can it be causing this vertigo?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Hi

Mastoid bone is made up of plenty of air filled spaces/cells. It is part of the middle ear. Inflammation of the middle ear, termed as Otitis media is the most common condition where fluid in the mastoid cells is seen. This inflammation can spread to the labrynthine apparatus which is responsible for the vertigo.

Based on your description, this is the most likely cause of vertigo and not the 'whooshing' sound that you been hearing since a long time ago.

However, there is a condition known as "Meniere's disease" in which ringing sensation (tinnitus) and vertigo are related. This condition is diagnosed based on ENT examination, audiometry tests and other tests.

Since you have not reported how long you had been suffering from vertigo, it is difficult to associate vertigo and the whooshing sounds. The chance of Meniere's disease is unlikely if the vertigo started fairly recent and the antibiotic has helped in relieving vertigo.

Hope this is clear to you.

If you have any doubts/queries regarding my opinion, you can write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up questions too.