Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Osteoporosis,back muscles hurt, ultramer, long term disability, back fatigue, musculoskeletal fractures, zometa, bone density

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My spine has a distinct s curve and has begun to collapse due to severe osteoporosis. My orthopedic doctor has never even mentioned the curve, but my back muscles hurt constantly. I am on Ultram er 200 daily and Ultram 50mg for breakthrough pain
I am on Long term disability, but my company may want me back at work if my ortho doc says it ok. I can't sit or stand very long without pain and back fatigue.

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your situation.

Regarding the osteoporosis as you know this is a significant sending of the bones which can place you at greater risk for musculoskeletal injuries as well as fractures.

If you're diagnosed with osteoporosis. It is extremely important that you start calcium supplementation. In addition it has been proven to be beneficial that individuals with osteoporosis who exercise regularly have improved overall health. This means that exercise helps to strengthen the bones.

In addition there are other medications which may be of benefit in your case. Medications such as Fosamax or Zometa may prove beneficial in working to help improve your bone density.

I think it is extremely important that you have a discussion with your endocrinologist as well.

I think also it is important for you to determine which responsibilities at work which you might be able to perform. If you are unable to perform any work duties. You may have to discuss the possibility of filing for disability with your doctor. I really do not like to provide disability to patients who are able to work so this should be a last resort for you if you are unable to find any type of work
that you can perform successfully and without significant limitation.

Thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor