Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Operated for prostate. Suffering from frequent urination problem. Taking Urimax D. Had facial paralysis. What do you recommend?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9634 Questions
My father is 80 years old. He got operated for prostate six years back. Now his right prostate is enlarged and it is 95 gms. He is suffering from very frequent urination problem. Sometimes, he has to go to urinate while having food. After urine culture, doctor has put him on Urimax D (once a day), Soliten 10mg (once a day) and Niftran (nitrofurantion) (twice a day for seven days and after that once a day. He is under this medication since 8th October 2013. He got a facial paralysis in July 2013. He is a BP patient also. No diabetes. Doctors say surgery is not possible at this health condition and age factor. Any suggestion?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He can be operated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your father who is 80 years old has recurrence of Benign Enlargement of prostate.and the size of the Prostate is being 95 gms.

He has two episodes of strokes in the past .However considering the symptoms like increase frequency and urgency urination and the poor quality of life that he is going to have over next few years I personally feel that since he is non diabetic,and his blood pressure being well controlled you can certainly weigh an option of surgery (TURP) .This is is non invasive surgery with less morbidity and will offer him a good quality life for rest of his life.(Keeping in mind and accepting the little risk 1-3% involved in surgery.)

Please note that there is tremendous advances in equipments and techniques of enourological surgery in last decade and we have so many renowned experienced Urologist every where in our country performing this surgery .

Please consult one more XXXXXXX experienced Urologist and XXXXXXX Anaesthetist.regarding the fitness for surgery as I do not think patents age (80years ) to be a factor for contraindication for surgery when normal ageing of a average Indian man has gone up to 75 years..

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor