Operated for perianal abscess. Noticed pus leaking from wound. Do I have fistula?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: I had a perennial abcess which was operated on, all good then next day it formed again yet burst itself a few days later. Now pus has been leaking from wound near anal canal for past 2 weeks and won't stop. Uncomfortable but no pain. Do I have a fistula?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it can be a fistula. Especially if the wound near rectum appeared without any trauma or surgery. It is advisable for you to have colonoscopy or rectoscopy performed to see if there is any fistula. MRI of the pelvic area is also necessary to see where the fistula comes from and to find its exact localization.
Only after this tests, it can be property treated.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.