Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Open heart surgery done to replace aortic valve. Experiencing sharp pain in chest. Any relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Three years ago I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve. I was 50. The mechanical valve is working great and didn't have any blockage. With that said here is my problem now. Just out of the blues I started having very sharp stabbing pains in my chest. They only happen when I move. Not every time though. Usually when I turn to one side or the other or when I stand up. Also I sometimes feel pain when I walk hard or ride the riding lawn mower. When I get these pains they hurt real bad, but quit as soon as I readjust myself. My Cardiologist and GP say my heart is great and that since the pains are generated by me moving and go away quickly that it is not my heart. Both said there is nothing wrong other than maybe a pulled muscle. This is very painful, and after my problems in 2010 I get a little bit paranoid. Problem is they don't say what I need to do to correct the problem. ALSO, if I am about to move up or around I can press in real hard on my chest and there won't be any pain. So it appears to be something to do with my pecks. I can't keep going through life with the pain or pressing on my chest when I move. My BP is great, heart rate is great, no blockage, valve working great. I wonder if it is from being cut open and ribs being cut open. But why is it just now starting now, and WHAT CAN I DO? I'm so frustrated. I'm thinking maybe I need to go to a sports medicine doctor or some other specialists. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.

In the absence of any cardiac cause for your problem,it appears to me that either it is some nerve pain or may be the wires,which have been used to close your sternum bone, have loosened and might be piercing some of the muscular structure in the chest cavity.

In my opinion, you must get a plain X -ray chest or a CT chest done to look for the position of wires.

You may even get a coronary angiogram done, although the chances of blockade being the cause for your chest pain, looks very remote.

I hope it helps however; you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor