One week ago, I woke up with sharp pain in

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: One week ago, I woke up with sharp pain in left side of neck and shoulder. Saw Orth. Doctor. Prescribed prednisone (one week). I took and got better but residual pain in shoulder and ashiness/weakness in left arm. Over the course of the week I have noticed that I dropped 10 pounds and have a quick hot flash in the middle of the night.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Compressive spine disease needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,

I can certainly understand your concern..

I have worked through your attached query in detail.

Considering your symptoms, the possibility of a Cervical compressive spine disease has to be ruled out.

Prednisolone is not always a safer option.

I generally prescribe oral medications in form of nerve modulating agents like Pregabalin or Gabapentin to control pain.

It's very important that you get an MRI scan of the spine at the earliest to determine further course of action.

Review with reports to determine further course of action.

Further management if any is largely based on test results.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee