One of my relative was diagnosed with T2N0M0 breast carcinoma

Question
One of my relative was diagnosed with T2N0M0 breast carcinoma exactly a year back and operated in XXXXXXX 2017. 3cm, ER+, PR+, HER2--. Quadrantectomy done with axillary dissection. TC*4 chemo given with 21 days radiation. Chemo completed on 27th March, 2017. Radiation completed on 26th May, 2017. Currently on Femara.
We did her first mammography after surgery and report is good but it says thick walled collection likely post operative.
Questions:
1. Is this common after 1 year of breast surgery?
2. She still complains pain in her breast, is this could be because of this fluid collection?
3. Do we need to remove this collection?
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Seroma formation following modified radical mastectomy with axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancer is a most common wound complication. In our experience seroma occurs in approximately 50% of patients undergoing mastectomy. Postmastectomy seromas usually vanishes within a few weeks after operation.
some patients may require repeated aspirations even for a period of months. Prolonged accumulation of postmastectomy seroma LEAD TO thick walled collection.
1.It is not common after 1 year of surgery but on rare cases can occur.
2.Yes,pain may be due to fluid collection or by inflammation.
3.Removal of this collection depends on size and pain both.If she has pain than fluid need to be removed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal