One of my friend went for a wisdom tooth extraction

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
One of my friend went for a wisdom tooth extraction as it was giving him pain and also growing in different direction.

After removing the tooth, doctor found some tissue attached to it which he feels not common and advised for biopsy. My firiend checked with the doctor but he told it is the procedure they have to follow when they see something like that.

What could be the reason for the doctor to advise for biopsy? Is he suspecting malignancy? Any thoughts please.
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy is to rule out cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Biopsy is usually done to rule out cancer. But sometimes it is done for benign disorders too, like tuberculosis, skin diseases, etc.

In this case, it's likely that the doctor suspected the abnormal tissue to be cancerous, hence the biopsy. Many a times these come back as non cancerous, like pyogenic granuloma, hyperplasia, metaplasia, etc.

Hope this helps.