Owl Image

On treatment for chlamydia. Normal to have discharge and tingling sensation?

Cardiologist
Question
Hello! I've just been up with my doctor and have found chlamydia, got antibiotics for it right away. Took pills on Wednesday 12 and could subsequently feel that it worked in the body. After that my doctor did not say how long it would take before I was healthy, I read online that it usually takes between 2-10 days from when you took the pill. My question is whether it is normal to still have discharge and tingling in the urethra during the treatment time? And the chlamydia bacteria in the vaginal discharge that can infect? Can also good to have chlamydia in the throat, and if so, what are the symptoms? In the meantime, I have something behind at the end of my tongue at the neck tube, and some red bumps, kand a be chlamydia and can be transmitted? I have little doubt that I have had enough antibiotics, but it may also well be I am impatient. Hope you can help me with the answer.

thanks!
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified medical specialist (special training in infectious diseases) with an additional degree in cardiology and I read your mail with diligence.
You have read it right. The usual treatment is for 7 days, however single shot treatment are available.
To answer your second question about urethral discharge, it is not uncommon to have discharge during treatment. In fact we are always worried about development of stricture that is narrowing of urethra. Your sexual partner before you started your treatment should also be treated is a thing which people tend to forget. To your question about throat infection with chalamydia, a burning sensation and difficulty in swallowing food should be enough for the person to see the doctor who would confirm/ exclude by serological and bacteriological tests.
If you are on oral therapy for urethral infection that should take care of both the infections.
As an abundant precaution do ask the doctor before you resume your regular sexual activity.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW