Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

On treatment for chlamydia. Normal to have discharge and tingling sensation?

Answered by
Dr. Anil Grover


Practicing since :1981

Answered : 922 Questions

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello! I've just been up with my doctor and have found chlamydia, got antibiotics for it right away. Took pills on Wednesday 12 and could subsequently feel that it worked in the body. After that my doctor did not say how long it would take before I was healthy, I read online that it usually takes between 2-10 days from when you took the pill. My question is whether it is normal to still have discharge and tingling in the urethra during the treatment time? And the chlamydia bacteria in the vaginal discharge that can infect? Can also good to have chlamydia in the throat, and if so, what are the symptoms? In the meantime, I have something behind at the end of my tongue at the neck tube, and some red bumps, kand a be chlamydia and can be transmitted? I have little doubt that I have had enough antibiotics, but it may also well be I am impatient. Hope you can help me with the answer.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified medical specialist (special training in infectious diseases) with an additional degree in cardiology and I read your mail with diligence.
You have read it right. The usual treatment is for 7 days, however single shot treatment are available.
To answer your second question about urethral discharge, it is not uncommon to have discharge during treatment. In fact we are always worried about development of stricture that is narrowing of urethra. Your sexual partner before you started your treatment should also be treated is a thing which people tend to forget. To your question about throat infection with chalamydia, a burning sensation and difficulty in swallowing food should be enough for the person to see the doctor who would confirm/ exclude by serological and bacteriological tests.
If you are on oral therapy for urethral infection that should take care of both the infections.
As an abundant precaution do ask the doctor before you resume your regular sexual activity.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Oral therapy

doctor1 MD

I have overactive bladder and I need to know what meds to take. My email address is YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hi, My daughter is suffering from slight pain on the upper eye lid. There is minor swelling too. I have attached image with this request. Please advise. Regards, xxxx

doctor1 MD

I pulled a muscle in my lower back, went to the ER and was put on 60mg prednisone 3 times a day. I took for one day and stopped because of severe heart burn. I was also prescribed 500mg of naproxen . I took one of those the next morning after...

doctor1 MD

I am 81 years old.I had hip surgery in January, 2013 I now have bursitis in the right hip and lower back. The pain goes down to my thigh and to my knee. Sometimes the pain in my thigh hurts so much I have to wait awhile before I can walk. I had two shots in the hip. It helped for awhile. I am thinking about Lazar treatment. I will go to a meeting to learn about this treatment. What do you think of this treatment.? I read that it was certified by the FDA

doctor1 MD

Hello. I am a 48 year old female. I have a small cyst-like bump on my perineum about 1/2 an inch below my vaginal opening and slightly to the left. It was flesh colored a few days ago and now has turned a yellowish-white color as if it were filled with pus. It only hurts if I touch it or if it gets compressed. What do you think it might be?